National Population Register
National Population Register (NPR) of all the ‘usual residents’ in the country was created in 2010. The field work for NPR data collection was undertaken along with House listing and Housing Census 2010.
The electronic database of more than 119 crore usual residents of the country has already been created under NPR in English as well as the Regional Languages by collecting specific information of all usual residents.
As per decision of the Government of India, the NPR Database has been updated during 2015-16 in all States/UTs (except Assam and Meghalaya) to make a comprehensive resident database.
The Scheme for creation of National Population Register is being undertaken under the provisions of The Citizenship, Act, 1995 and The Citizenship Rules, 2003. The NPR will contain the details of all the ‘usual residents’ of the country regardless of whether they are citizens or non-citizens of India.
Some of the important provisions of the Citizenship Rules, 2003 define the duties and responsibilities of every official of the central Government, State Government, Local bodies or their undertakings, the individuals and the head of the household are reproduced below for ready reference.
- Rule 3(4): The Central Government may, by an order issued in this regard, decide a date by which the Population Register shall be prepared by the collecting information relating to all persons who are usually residing within the jurisdiction of Local Registrar
- Rule 5: Officials of the Central Government, State Government and Local bodies to assist the Registrar General of Citizen Registration: Every official of Central Government, local bodies or their undertakings shall assist the Registrar General of Citizen Registration or any person authorized by him in this behalf, in preparation of the database relating to each family and every person, and in implementing the provisions of these rules.
- Rule 7: Head of family and individual to act as informant:….
- It shall be the responsibility of the head of every family, during the period specified for preparation of the population Register, to give the correct details of name and number of members and the their particulars as specified in the sub-0rulke(3) of rule 3, of the family of which he/she is the head….
- In the case of dependents, such as minor who has not attained the age of eighteen years, or who is disabled, the responsibility of reporting the particulars under this rule shall be of the head of the family.
Updation of National Population Register (NPR) 2020
- The Government has decided to update the NPR database alongwith Houselisting and Housing Census phase of Census of India 2021 during April- September 2020.
- Updating the existing NPR database by verifying the details of all the residents by conducting a house to house enumeration by the enumerator (designated Government officials) and modifying/correcting the demographic data items.
- Collecting Aadhaar number from each resident voluntarily.
- Collecting Mobile number, Election Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) or Voter ID card number, Indian Passport number and Driving License number, if available with the residents.
- Inclusions of all new resident(s)/new household(s) found in the local area (HLB) during the field work.